Healthy eating is always important, but especially so whilst we are spending most of our time at home and not venturing out as much at the moment. Getting fresh food including fruit and vegetables has been a challenge during lockdown, but thankfully there are now a few more channels open to us.
We thought we would include a recipe for a simple Caesar Salad now that the warmer days are with us...
1/2 lime, juice only
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
2 x egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 to 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (to taste)
5 to 6 fresh anchovy fillets, chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
300ml to 400ml olive oil (on preference)
3 tablespoons oil
3 to 4 slices thick bread cut into cubes
Romaine or Cos lettuce leaves
50g Parmesan cheese shavings to garnish
1. Put the lime juice, parmesan, egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, garlic, anchovies and salt in a blender with a little of the oil and process until smooth.
2. Through the opening in the blender, add almost all the remaining oil in a slow steady trickle whilst the blender is still running until the dressing thickens. Taste the dressing and add more salt if desired.
3. To make the croutons, heat the oil and when hot add the bread cubes. Fry until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
4. To serve, toss the lettuce leaves in the dressing (add a little olive oil too if desired).
5. Add the croutons and parmesan shavings and serve straight away. Eat on its own or add chicken and/or bacon for a more filling alternative.
Gian & Biaz